Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Another White Tiger

Scott Carney's article in Wired on India's land mafia makes for dramatic reading. On the other hand, a visit to his blog site makes him look a little self-promotional, like he's marketing himself as a daring crusader. I suppose I'll have to give him the benefit of the doubt, as the land mafia are a serious threat in India. Still, I feel he's using human suffering as a prop. Reminds me of when I saw Geraldo on TV during Katrina, cynically snatching some poor black woman's baby into his arms while wailing for the camera, or when I saw Patrick Swayze in 'City of Joy'. Move over Aravind Adiga, it looks like there's a new 'White Tiger' in town, and he's flashing his teeth. Another Booker Prize aspirant?

1 comment:

san said...

Here's an interesting article on a Grameen style initiative in India:

http://www.technologyreview.com/business/21533/