Monday, February 21, 2005

syrian bishop says mostly sensible things

February 21st

this syrian christian bishop is saying lots of reasonable things.

but yet, he too cannot get away from the mythology of 'thomas the apostle' coming to india. this bit is a hoax, a fabrication, that has become a truth by repeated assertion. thomas the apostle never came to india, period!



INTERVIEW (DECCAN HERALD, SUNDAY Feb. 20, 2005)

‘Human right is the most important thing’

GEEVARUGHESE MAR OSTHATHIOS

Geevarughese Mar Osthathios, senior bishop of the Indian Orthodox Church which has a membership of over two million, was in Bangalore recently. He is a scholar par excellence, and has written several books. ‘The theology of a classless society’ and ‘One religion of love’ are two of them. The Bishop says he is “a Hindu by culture, Christian by faith, Indian by citizenship and ecumenical by choice”. To him, “Hinduism is the most tolerant religion. While we dig deep, there is a quest for spirituality of love underneath all religions. We must examine the various scriptures with an open mind.” Excerpts of an interview.


On Religious conversion

Christianity preaches only one God for all people. This God is Advaitha, Compassionate Allah, Triune God and Sachidananda. He is the father of all people, therefore, humanity is one family. Christ brought in the theology of love and so if you are converted to love, which is infinite, our enemies and friends alike, that is Christianity. My theology is that humanity at large is one family. I have the freedom to choose any religion or no religion. Human right is the most important thing. I can get converted if I want to. But, you have no right to force it on me. Conversion by force or coercion has been objected even by Christ himself. No true Christian will force anybody to convert to Christianity.


On evangelists and foreign faith healers

To be very frank, I am against fundamentalism. All fundamental preachers are on the side of the Devil. No preacher is supposed to condemn another religion. A Christian evangelist who comes to convert one to Christianity, by force or allurements, is wrong. They are like the Muslim fundamentalists and Hindu fundamentalists. RSS is fundamentalist. Hinduism is not fundamentalism. Hinduism is Sanadhana. Any fundamentalist will say that you are wrong and I am right. But, that is not right. Sanadhana is Christianity and there is no place for fundamentalism in true Christianity.

Benny Hinn and his claims to heal

Most of these speakers are evil and selfish people. They are after money. We must not allow them to come to India. Benny Hinn claims to have a large following. This is only a temporary and emotional phenomenon. They go to him because of ads which are a brain-washing business. It is evil. Miracle-based Christianity is a cheating business. Christ never sold any miracle to convert anybody. I don’t judge him (Benny Hinn) as a person, I judge his approach. It is evil.


Dalit Christians’ demand for reservation


Economically speaking, the Dalits have a right to demand for reservation. But in the name of religion, to ask for reservation is not right. Reservation must be on the basis of economic need. The minority must have certain privileges. So, minorities have the right to ask for party reservations but only on economic basis.


A Hindu by culture, Christian by faith, ecumenical by choice and an Indian by citizenship?

I will agree with all those evaluations about myself. I am an Indian by birth. I am a Hindu, a Christian and a Muslim together. Because, I am a humanist and a theologian. God is love- that is my theology. I am a Christian and also an Indian, I am a philosopher. Therefore I don’t isolate myself from India, I am part and parcel of India. My church is an Indian Church. My church is founded by St Thomas, the Apostle. He had no foreign aid and no foreign missionary.


Position of women in the Indian Orthodox Church:

Our Church’s constitution says that voting rights are reserved only for men. That must be changed, I agree. Dignity of man and woman is equal so are two leaves or two men. Biologically men and women aren’t equal. Theologically they are equal but not biologically. Two people are not equal. But any discrimination against women is wrong.

Is the Indian Church a role model for other religionists?

It is for others to say if we are role models. It is not for us to claim that we are role models. Let’s leave it to the society to say if we are role models or not.

NINA BENJAMIN


in Bangalore

No comments: